Saturday 27 November 2010

Winol Week 8 and 9- perfecting our packages

Like promised, I managed to improve my £20 food budget feature. It took quite a lot of time but I can openly say that I am very proud of it. Spending up to 13 hours a day at the university was definitely worth it. Editing was a lot more enjoyable this time as I could see it getting better and better. The main change I have done was shortening it extremely from 7 minutes to 3 minutes, making it less chaotic and more interesting. I got rid of boring pieces to the camera and I recorded a voice over- therefore I had a chance of telling the story properly. It made the piece look more professional. The piece was supposed to be based on the Channel 4 documentaries, I feel like I have reached the target. I think the feature had a clear point and it was explained well throughout the film. In the voiceover I talked about Poland to clarify where my accent was from. I also thought that the audience would be interested to hear some fact about different culture. II also decided to get an advice from Julie Rowles who works in the university canteen. She was very nice and wanted to help. She gave me a basic idea of what I could eat and how much it would cost me. I can honestly say that I could never afford to eat there for a week on £20. My favourite bit is the montage of a shopping basket being filled up with food. In the other piece I had a very long, boring piece of a self check out.

The structure of the piece was well planned. It started with an introduction to the camera, then the story was being told in the voiceover, I tried to stick to the point I made at the beginning. Then the piece ended with a conclusion to the camera. It was definitely the first feature I planned so well.

Things I have learned from improving my feature:
1. Always make a detailed plan before you go out filming AND before you start editing your piece.
2. Don’t try to use every single bit of your footage you have on the tape. Even if you spend 3 hours filming one thing, 2 seconds of it will be enough to make your piece interesting. Everyone will know that you have put a lot of effort and time into it.
3. Don’t complicate your life by trying to be more professional than you are. Simple things look professional and great if you use a little bit of your imagination.
4. Voiceovers are much better and more interesting than pieces to the camera. So try to use them as much as you can! 
5. Living on £20 a week probably be possible if you manage not to get tempted by takeaways!

Hope you enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Justi How good to see this and your detailed analysis about the improvements to the feature, what you had to do and how it has made such a difference. You are right, it IS better, although to a lay person in these matters the other one was a great start. I feel that you have learned so much about how to work a feature well and that will stand you in good stead for those yet to come. It reminds me of having to write precis at school, which I was hopeless at, salient facts etc., it does not seem shorter but infinitely more polished, well done and for putting in extra hours. The voice over is very slick and clear and your diction is not as hurried which is great and maybe comes from confidence in what you are doing and saying, that is, the planning. Of course, I loved the Polish references, no other country's sausages can beat one's own! I think the Government cannot give a food allowance for it would just be abused and spent on other things. Any meagre support they may give along with any other loan or financial support presents that challenge to learn to manage priorities and put back the wine, well most times! There is probably an analogy there in your learning curve for this feature. I see you have a splendid new scarf for this wintry spell! Keep warm and happy and I hope all goes well until the end of term. Best love Cait X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Justi, as cait says this was a better presented short film..I had thought last one was good enough...just shows how much one can gain from listning to others...my only complaint would be....as it always is...the loud background music...I suppose there is a reason for it but I fail to see it LOL..
    Hope you are keeping warm in this cold weather.
    Sybil x

    ReplyDelete