Saturday 12 December 2009

Everything happens for a reason. Really?




It’s time for Justina’s night time reflections.

Whenever something happens, no matter whether it is a good or a bad thing (usually it is a bad thing) my parents always say ‘No worries, everything happens for a reason’, which lights up hope for oncoming things to get better in the future. It is nice to believe that whatever happens, life still holds in store some other, interesting opportunities. Is it true that everything has its reason to happen, though? It has never been proven, but at the same time I guess it feels like a great idea for a good, positive excuse for things that go wrong in life. I feel that it actually can be argued to be true; sometimes it seems like some situations have their own reason to be happening in our life.

Sometimes seeing a person for the first time in your life makes you feel like you are already ‘bonded’ with them. You don’t quite yet know who they are, but you know that you were meant to meet them, and you know that they will affect your life in some way. Maybe they will give you a little help? Teach you a lesson? Keep you going when everything turns against you? It definitely happened to me, at least once.

Of course, bad experiences are just as important as good ones. Making mistakes is the best way of gaining new experiences and even knowledge, which can be seen as an advantage. Well, maybe not in journalism. Making errors in journalism is bad! Bad, bad, bad! Let’s try not to make any of those. At the end of the day, the successes and downfalls create who you are and how you are seen.



How about war? What is the reason of war? So many people died and still die in the brutal Iraq war. I do disagree with the statement in this case. Very, very, very much! It would stupid to think that the reason for it could be that people will find a ‘real purpose of life’ when it finally finishes, if it ever will. People living there don’t even remember what peace means. All they get to see every day are men dressed in military uniforms, machine guns and some automatic weapons. All they feel is fear and all they have is hope which slowly wanes. War has no reason for giving so much pain to these innocent people. War has no reason to exist.

I am supposed to revise for my exams right now! Revising philosophy gives me too many thought in my head which then need to be typed down so they can stop playing on my mind, otherwise I will be getting distracted for the rest of the night.

I am relieved now. I shall go back to studying leaving you to express your thoughts :-)

Bye byee.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is more reasonable to think that things happen for no reason at all, and that all phenonema are just astonishingly unlikely and increasingly complex and difficult to understand. This is set out in the third law of thermodynamics - that entropy increases with time, and it appears to be a universal law of physical phenomena (it in fact replaces or completes Newton's law) Thus any attempt to determine meaning is simply an act of will or of being itself. It won't do any good, but it won't do any harm either. Everything tends in time towards dissolution and at some point everything that ever happened will simply become too complex to be probable at even the most minute levels of probability. The universe began as very simple and very hot and it will end up as immensely complex and very cold and we are somewhere near half way through that process. That at least is the current consensus of informed opinion on this topic so far as I am aware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please delete the Chinese comments above - I looked at them using babelfish and they appear to be spam for commercial web sites. This is 'comment spam' whereby sites try and incerase their page rank and traffic by leaveing comments and a link on wensites. This is part of search engine optiisation.

    I have been reading your blog all term adn it is very good, showing a fair bit of workl and good understanding across the course. We aer grading it at the moment and will discuss it with you when we meet for a tutorial in February according to the schedule - see messageboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an afterthought,I would like to add that I may well have misunderstood, but I found Chris Horrie's first comment an approach of a deeply scientific and clinical nature to the subjects you were trying to get to terms with at this stage, ie, meaning, incorporating the infinite/endless repetition of man's mistakes- which is History and of course War, and the questions of the philosophy course. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio/Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet. No wonder all these intricacies play on the mind when also you have the challenge of language differences, with which you are coping so very well.You write better than many English people I know! Remember Justi,the questions are never ending,- therefore ask them, and the answers multifold and confusing,-listen to them, but keep your own counsel! I look forward to reading more next term and good luck with everything! I am interested to know what the position is with regard to personal emotional control relating to Journalists/Journalism - as objectivity is presumably required 100%? Cait

    ReplyDelete
  5. To suggest as Hamlet does that there are objects beyond human imagination (or beyond the imagination of sentinent beings anyway) is pure mysticism, surely. Where would these "things" (presumably 'objects in themselves') reside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Justi, Gosh! I have been Googling' the meaning of that quote I used. I put it in, as it seemed to me to be apposite for a young person who is exploring new subjects and is interested in learning.I use quotes as poetic emphasis. I found this explanation on Google which I like:- "The meaning of this quote is that often when things seem wrong, confusing or unjust that there is more to a system than meets the eye, levels of truth, meaning and complexity not visible to the casual observer". I certainly do not think of 'objects' beyond imagining, nor where they may reside,it reminds me of our recent talk about Heaven. What did we conclude for ourselves, that it is all personal interpretation? (Probably residing in the heart!hence my query on emotional control). I am of the opinion that what cannot be proved scientifically is not so, but much greater and erudite persons than I disagree. What interesting discussions are ahead for you Justi, and it is a good thing that the course is varied and throwing up such arguments, by this I mean different views. It is a good thing that I am not required to know anything,!!! but just follow the blogs!Sometimes looking too deeply is not right, simple explanations may be best. May all go well next term. Cait

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Justi I thought you had deleted the Chinese comments as requested, but see my original comment has been removed too, by a 'blog administrator, and I wonder what the reason for that might be? Maybe you will not know. It sort of spoils the continuity of the discussion, but ok these things happen. Take care Cait

    ReplyDelete