Monday 28 November 2011

30th November Strike Live Coverage



On Wednesday, 30th of November the Winol team is traveling all the way to Southampton to broadcast a LIVE strike coverage from the Unite the Union office on the Avenue. Originally, we were planning to do it in the studio but we decided we want to be as close to the heart of strikes as possible, so the union office seemed perfect. It is the first time we broadcast something outside of the studio so it is a big challenge for us but the preparation is going well so far, so lets hope for the best.

There will be over 20 unions striking all over the UK over pensions. This will cause disruptions in places such as schools, hospitals, airports, courts and libraries. It will be the largest co-ordinated action ever seen in the UK.

WINOL reporters and producers are preparing for a 6-hour Live coverage. It will include in studio special guests discussing the issue, outside broadcasts from Winchester, Southampton, Basingstoke and London. We will be delivering breaking news stories as they happen on the day. This is going to be a UK-wide live coverage as we have our own correspondents from other universities who will be working with us on the day. That includes: London Met, Buckingham and Manchester,. We will not be missing anything.

My role for the day is director which I share with Dan, who will be taking over from me after 3 hours, at 15.00, or whenever I need a quick  break. Directing is going to be quite difficult in the office as I will be in the same room as the presenters who will, of course, be mic-ed up so anything I say will be picked up by their mics, therefore Cara, Hana (the presenters) and I have worked out a sign language that will help us communicate, if unnecessary, during their links and during an in studio discussion with guests. Otherwise we will only be able to communicate when the packages are running. We are hoping to get plenty of rehearsals done in the studio tomorrow so everyone knows exactly what it's all going to be like on the actual day.

The in studio guests are highly important during the coverage. So far we have:
1. Councilor Keith House: Leader of Eastleigh Borough Council/ Liberal Democrat opposition leader of Hampshire County Council. He will be coming in at 3.00 pm.
2. Ian Woodland: Unite representative for Southampton. He will be coming in at 2.00 pm
3. Seb Miell: University of Winchester Studen Union president.

I have also managed to get in touch with Tommy Geddes, the Deputy Vice Chancellor, who is willing to give us an interview on the day from campus where our Winchester correspondents will be. We are also pre recording an interview with Councillor Royston Smith. The Conservative Leader of Southampton City Council.


I think there are more guests still to confirm their attendance 

Here is the Production Rota for the day. I will print out and put it on the wall in the union office. But have a quick look now anyway.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Justi

    This looks really exciting and one of the OBroadcasts you mentioned has come along, although you are not going to be outside, but inside an office, but away if you see what I mean, away from your usual comfort zone. I hope that you can get all the equipment set up safely and that it goes without too many hitches. You can do it for sure. You do not say which Union is letting you use its office?

    I see at least one name I recognise as a lecturer, so assume that both executive producers are just that, experienced and professional and ultimately responsible, therefore I am sure that it will all hold together with the rest of you and it will be a great success. I really hope that there will be no violence at Southampton or anywhere else.

    I will be thinking of you and hoping it all goes well and that you have a successful and stimulating day.

    I hope you get it onto Winol quickly and I look forward to following as much as I can throughout the period you are covering.

    It will be so good to link up with other areas with the other reporters/correspondents too and as you say cover all you can. (I personally would have someone following BBC News and using any good leads from before 12noon and after, if that is allowed! maybe not).

    Well, good luck, on your side ever, with love Justi Cait XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Justi

    Well, I hope that you have added a couple of paragraphs since I posted my comment above or I shall really know dementia has set in!! There are certainly 2 which I did not see last evening.

    I was glad to read about what you are doing and so far it sounds as though you have really interesting interviews potentially, well balanced from each point of view, I guess the OBroadcasters will be looking for interviews with those affected, the variety of workers who stand to lose with this pension review. I hate government which can break promised things (such as students' loans not being changed), and even change contracts which teachers etc signed up to when they started. Obviously nothing can be believed even when you sign and they should put provisos in right from the start then this sort of deception would not occur. I have hated this coalition right from the start as neither party has a mandate from the people and they have just rushed on like lemmings towards the cliff top. Enough of that anyway!!

    It will be so hectic for you all I am sure but the team will be very relieved and proud when it is over and indeed should things go wrong,- so what, they do with BBC etc and they just say 'Well, we'll try to come back to that later', so having the next thing well on standby must be a necessity.

    I think you mean that your sign language will help you communicate if necessary, not unnecessary. Well done for inventing that, communication is all. You have so much to do, so much to arrange and knit together that it is a wonder you can blog at all!!

    I am thinking of you today and will be following as soon as I can tomorrow, great you can share with Dan.

    Love you ever Cait XXX

    ReplyDelete